Monday, March 29, 2010

Welcome to the desert.

I wasn't going to blog until after my spring break this week, but my mom is being sassy and wants more posts. Here ya go Sue.

Last weekend I took a four hour bus to Huacachina in Ica with a huge group of international students. Huacachina is an oasis in the middle of the desert surrounded by hostels and restaurants. Upon arrival we were immediately put into groups and herded into dune buggies. I wish I could accurately describe how crazy the tour through the desert was. I felt like I was on a roller coaster.
An extra sandy roller coaster.
I'm still scraping sand off my body.
The buggies took us out to the biggest dunes where we proceeded to sand board down giant hills on our stomachs. Let's just say none of us have skin left on our feet or elbows after sledding down a sandy drop at 60 mph. After watching the sunset over the desert and syphoning gas from another buggy, we headed back to the oasis only to jump into an already sandy pool. The rest of the night was devoted to eating as much peruvian BBQ and dancing as possible. Luckily, I was so tired by the end of the night, I didn't even mind I had to sleep on a wicker mattress with Hot Wheels sheets. The next day we decided to tour a little museum in downtown Ica. It was super lame at first. I mean, pottery is pretty cool, but after about five rooms of it my patience starts to wear thin. BUT THEN we hit the mummy room. Because the coast of Peru is so dry, everything is preserved, even people. I was both horrified and morbidly intrigued, mostly because the Incas prized giant foreheads so all of the skulls were completely disfigured. All looked like cone heads because the Incas would wear head braces from birth to elongate they're skulls. Also all of the heads had hair.
It was creepy.
And great.
Then we took a four hour bus ride back where we watched a movie called RIDE OR DIE. It was dubbed in Spanish. Too fantastic.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for semana santa (Easter break) and I'm going north to a city called Piura for more beaching and visiting witch doctors.

Oh. Also sometimes I go to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment